Ugh, I have been on a roll with food lately and not in a good way! For the past week it seems like I am screwing up whatever I touch. In one day I burned three different dishes! This is usually a problem I don't have but geez, lately my internal clock is OFF. You know that clock that tells you that even though the timer hasn't gone off yet, your dish is definitely done now. I usually have that, not so much anymore. What is wrong with me?!?!
Luckily this salad has turned out amazing for me each and every time I have made it in the past month, so all is not lost! It has taken some time for asparagus to grow on me. It was definitely not one of my favorite vegetables growing up but now I love it. If you haven't been an asparagus fan in the past try grilling it. It brings out the best flavor and the ends get a little crispy which not only gives it a good crunch but it tastes really good too.
What I am sharing with you today is the basic recipe, feel free to add some grilled chicken, grilled steak, or pasta to it and make it a meal. It really is so versatile. For dinner one night I added grilled steak and for lunch I added some bow tie pasta, both were great.
Italian Grilled Asparagus Salad
14 asparagus spears
1/2 c grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced
1/2 c kalamata olives, sliced
5 c spring salad mix
1 Tbsp julienne cut sun dried tomatoes
1/4 c olive oil
1 1/2 tsp Emeril's Original Essence Seasoning
1 tsp italian seasoning
1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
additional olive oil for drizzling
1. Preheat the grill on high.
2. Wash the asparagus and trim the stems. Line up on a sheet of tin foil.
3. Place the tin foil with the asparagus on the grill, turn grill to med-high heat.
4. Drizzle olive oil over the asparagus and season with salt and pepper.
5. Cook for 5-7 minutes, flip asparagus over and cook another 4 minutes or until lightly browned in places.
6. Remove from grill and cut into 1" pieces. Set aside.
7. In a small bowl add tomatoes, olives, olive oil, Emeril's Original Essence Seasoning, italian seasoning, and red pepper. Stir together until mixed well.
8. In a salad bowl add the spring salad mix, top with asparagus, tomato mix and sun dried tomatoes. Toss well and serve.
*Add grilled chicken, grilled steak or pasta on top of the spring salad mix, then proceed with the other toppings for a complete meal.
*Shaved parmesan or goat cheese added on top would make this dish sing.