I really like fish tacos, which is why it is super surprising that this is my first time making them. For some reason I think cooking fish intimidates me. Why? I'm not sure. Maybe it is because the fish I ate growing up was out of a stream and cooked on the grill. I just don't think I had enough exposure to it cooking wise, so it was kinda scary territory. Well fear not, these are super easy to make and so tasty.
These were definitely easier to make than any other tacos I have made. The fish cooks up so much faster than chicken, which is perfect for those weeknights when you need to get a meal on the table quick or when you have a baby crying because he wants to eat too. Quick meals are a necessity these days, but compromising flavor or nutrition are not an option. These hit both of those notes, they are flavorful and nutritious.
I know that fall is right around the corner and all over the internet I see the excitement from fellow bloggers that it is quickly approaching, but I am not ready to say good bye to summer. I feel like I have missed half of it so I am all about soaking up every last bit. These tacos have summer written all over them. I will probably making them this winter when I am snowed in and dreaming of Hawaii and pina coladas. For me the pineapple is what really makes this dish sing, so don't skip it!
Pineapple Fish Tacos
makes: 10 6" tacos
2 6 oz. cod fillets
1 1/2 - 2 c fresh pineapple, diced
4 green onions, chopped
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp coconut oil
10 6" corn tortillas
1. Combine chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder in a small bowl. Rub on both sides of cod fillets. Set aside.
2. In a medium frying pan over medium heat add 1 tsp coconut oil. Add pineapple and sprinkle with cinnamon, toss to coat. Cook for about 8 minutes or until the pineapple is lightly browned. Add green onions and cook an additional 1 minute. Remove from pan and put in a medium bowl.
3. Add 1/2 tsp coconut oil to the same frying pan and add cod fillets. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through and fish flakes easily.
4. Remove cod fillets from frying pan and pull apart. Add to pineapple mixture and mix well.
5. Warm corn tortillas.
6. Fill with cod fillet mixture. Top with desired toppings.