Last week I mentioned that my latest lunch obsession has been a turkey burger loaded with veggies. Well my favorite side to my turkey burgers has been these sweet potato chips. They are so good and super easy to cook up. I make mine fresh each day, simply because they cook up so quickly and taste amazing hot from the oven. I just preheat the oven while my grill is preheating, then I pop them in the oven at the same time I throw my burger on the grill and they are done at right about the same time.
I actually stumbled on these by accident. I am kind of embarrassed to admit it but it was because I was finally playing around with the attachment on my food processor that can either slice or shred veggies. Yes I have had the processor for 5 years and I am just now using this amazing attachment. Sadly it is out of laziness that I haven't used it before. I always used a box grater to shred or a mandoline slicer to slice veggies simply because they are smaller and easier to wash. Sad, right? Enough with that though, because I realize I was actually being harder on myself. This attachment slices and shreds in seconds with little effort on my part, it is awesome! So now I just slice up a bunch of potatoes, store the slices in the fridge, then pop them in the oven when I am ready to make chips - super easy! Plus I don't have to worry about tearing off skin on the box grater when I am shredding veggies, seriously every time! Anybody else do this?
Sweet Potato Chips
1 large sweet potato
crushed red pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
2. Peel sweet potato. Cut in half lengthwise and thinly slice using a mandoline slicer or attachment on food processor*.
3. Half of the sweet potato slices will fit between 2 baking sheets. So line half the slices out between 2 silpat lined baking sheets. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with seasonings of your choice, salt, oregano and red pepper flakes are some good options*. Place the baking sheets in the oven, one sheet on the middle rack and the other on the bottom rack.
4. Put in oven for 8 minutes. Toss so the olive oil coats all the slices again and the slices get turned over. Move the baking sheet on the top rack to the bottom and vice versa. Cook another 4-5 minutes. Keep a watchful eye - you don't want them to burn!
5. Once slightly browned and crisp remove from the oven and place in a bowl.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 with the remaining half of the potato slices. Enjoy!
*Note: If you use the food processor attachment when you go to slice the potato make sure that you firmly press the potato through the shoot so thick enough slices are made, otherwise they come out paper thin.
*Note: I prefer to do half the chips with salt and oregano and the other half with salt, oregano and red pepper flakes for an added kick.